Sunday, March 8, 2015

Get Back On That Horse Ollie!!!

I can't believe how long it has been since I've written here!  August?  My goodness!
I started this as a place to put all the stuff I learned about.  I've been lazy!  It's just too easy to use Tumblr or Twitter or Facebook or Google+.  But even looking at my efforts on those, it's been pretty lazy.  Not good. So why did I stop?
First, I started to feel weird pressure in doing this.  Like it was an obligation and that made it no fun.  I kept thinking "Gotta write this down and organize it and put it in your blog."  Stupid.  Especially since I don't think anyone is reading this.  It's really just me.  And I'm fine with that.  This is not some weird attention seeking thing that I'm trying to do.  It's something that I want to do.  No other purpose than "want to".
Second, I realized that my blogging was VERY VERY irresponsible.  I'm spreading rumors.  I know  that.  I like rumors though.  And as I've said, I really do think lots of them are true.  Or have some truth.  And I love juicy tidbits.  I can't help it.  I am all too familiar with checking primary source material, and I know that I haven't been.  I'm not necessarily trying to add my dialog to the Silent Film Community, I'm just screwing around.  But I guess if felt a little guilty?
Third, I used to be writer.  I really really used to be a writer.  A published author.  I stopped writing for years.  Like 15 years, and I've lost it.  Being able to write is a gift, but it's also a skill.  If you've got it, please don't neglect it.  Writing is like reading.  It's not innate.  It's a skill that you have to hone.  People who say they can't get through a whole book don't realize this.  They expect to be able to just sit down and do it. Then they get frustrated and give up.  Reading is hard.  To follow a long story line and remember characters is a skill.  It's really not an easy thing that your brain is doing.  I was never great with grammar or anything like that(yeah, I'm still not), but boy could I tell a story. I had great tone in my writing too.  Looking at my blog I could see that I'd lost it.  I think I can get it back though.  So I'm going to try really hard to post here. It's healthy.  It's good for my brain.
Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment