Sunday, April 19, 2015

Spent Silent Cinema Sunday In Wild Adventure Land!

So I hurt my knee last night.  I was trying to kill a spider on the ceiling and tried climbing into my chaise lounge, which promptly moved and I twisted my knee.  It's a weak knee.  I've hurt it before.  Same exact pain, so all I can do is stay off it and take Aleve.  :::sigh::::  I had a frigging broom in my hand, why did I feel the need to get closer?  Karma for trying to kill something.  Whatever.

Since I'm stuck to the couch today, I figured I would watch people that weren't.  ADVENTURE DAY!
First movie I choose was 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.  I knew very very little about this story line before watching this.  The only exposure I've had is from the film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Don't judge.  Someday I'll read all the classics...or at least the Wiki on them.  Anyway, this film is almost a hundred years old.  Filmed in 1916.  It's really a marvel because of all of the underwater scenes.  There are a lot of them.  Cause it was cool.  You never got to see anything like that.  I was a bit worried about sticking this one out.  I have a very tiny attention span(TINY TINY TINY  Really!!), and this movie was almost two hours long.  It was wonderful though.  Exciting story line.  Really kept me engaged.  And the underwater scenes.  Spectacular.  Not sure how he did it, but it was fascinating.  Very obvious that the director was showing off.  There were several scenes with men in deep sea diving suits.  I couldn't figure out if they were real or puppets.  They kinda moved like puppets and had very strange figures, but then one of them would grab onto another.  So I don't know.  Gotta look that up.

Up next was Robinson Crusoe.  This story I kinda knew.  Especially when Friday showed up.  This seems to be a very typical "stranded on a desert island" film.  Full of stereotypes and grass skirts.  You HAVE to get over this stuff if you are going to watch old movies!  It happened.  Deal with it.  I didn't quite get Robinson's attire.  What was up with the hat?  Really strange.  Movie was entertaining overall,  Nothing really special.  Kept me busy though.

The lead in the movie is a guy named Marmaduke Wetherell.  This the same name as the guy who was involved in that really famous Loch Ness Monster picture/foot print hoax.  I don't think they're the same person, but how many Marmaduke Wetherells can there be?? He was calling himself a "Big Game Hunter" during the Nessie thing, maybe he thinks he's all that because of Robinson Crusoe?  Hmmm.  Didn't look much more into it, but there it is.

Anyway, I'm off to ice my knee some more.  It was a very different Silent Cinema Sunday!  Nice to switch things up a bit!

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment