Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Years Resolution Week One: Metropolis

20170106_210658.jpg

I completed week one of my resolution yesterday!!  My first essential film is Metropolis.  I’ve never seen Metropolis before, so I was very excited to see it.  It’s one of those legendary films that every film buff is supposed to have seen. The version that I watched is not the latest or the most complete version, but I choose the 1984 copy because Freddie Mercury.  Enough said.

For dinner I couldn’t find anything suitable in TCM Movie Night Menus, so I decided to come up with my own.  I choose to make a vegetarian version of ploughman’s lunch.  A ploughman’s lunch typically consists of cheese, bread, fruit, pickles, meat, hard boiled eggs and some veggies.  And served with beer.  It was English farm workers lunch of choice, so I thought it would be appropriate for this film. Workers unite!


20170106_191706.jpg    
Vegetarian Non-Alcoholic Ploughman's Lunch! Yum!


I had grape tomatoes, orange peppers, apple slices, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish cheddar cheeses, Tofurky turkey slices, pickles, hardboiled eggs, grapes, and a hunk of bread.  To drink, O’doul’s.  It was perfect!  Even the non alcoholic beer was good!  And yes, I served it on my beautiful mismatched depression glass plates and bowls.  They make everything more delicious.


The movie was beyond amazing.  I knew that it would be good, but I didn’t know it would be *this* good.  I was prepared for the story line because who doesn’t know the story line, but the way it was conveyed was so captivating.  I was just glued to the screen, which is unusual for me, I tend to wander way for a little bit.  It was shot beautifully and the sets were so intricate.  Everything was perfect and the direction really escalated your emotions.  It was all so clever and really delivered Lang’s message.  Hard, cold, mechanical, inhuman, unfeeling.  The special effects were beyond.  I can’t believe how advanced they were.  Part of the reason that I love and treasure old movies is that people really had to do what was filmed.  They really had to figure things out.  You couldn’t just program a computer to do the work for you.  I really admire the directors and actors for that reason.  I know I say this a lot, but it’s true!!


I really enjoyed the modern soundtrack for the film.  Not just because of Freddie Mercury, but that didn’t hurt.  I thought that the music made the film more powerful.  I usually ignore the soundtracks. They fade into the background for me, but this one really added to the film.  Giorgio Moroder did a wonderful job! I really recommend watching this version if you can get your hands on it.


However, the best part of the film was Brigitte Helm.  If you’ve seen this film you will completely agree.  She stole this movie.  Her expressions and her acting were just incredible.  I just couldn’t get over her!


GPGUuLI.gif
I mean really!!!


Then I found out this was her first role and she was only 18?!?!  I must now watch everything I can with this woman in it!  Everything!


cb9b0fc0f74e6f6288ec7b5d966b8b9a.jpg
I love her.


I had the best time!  This is going to be a fantastic resolution.  It was so inspiring.  I got to involve all of my favorite things.  I learned stuff, got to see a fabulous movie that I hadn’t made time for, got to be a bit creative with food, got to eat food, and I wrote about it all!  I know it’s only week one, but I have high hopes for this resolution!


Love,
Olive

PS:  I know this blog kinda sucks.  I’m hoping that my writing gets better the more I do it!  I’m telling ya, I used to be good!  I am really proud that I figured out how to add pictures!  Small victories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment