Sunday, February 26, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Eight: The Thin Man



Week eight is here!  Can't believe how fast this year is going!  Can't believe that I'm still sticking to this!  This week we've got a true classic.  The Thin Man!  Another week that I was really looking forward to.  I knew I was going to have lots of fun with the menu and of course, lots of fun with this movie!

So I was not left on my own for the menu this week!  Movie Night Menus has some recipes for me!  As usual, with my diet restrictions, I had to change them, but I knew I could make these work.  PLUS, I got to use some spices and seasonings that I normally don't work with.  I adore cooking, and I use seasonings pretty good, but I think I stick to some pretty common ones, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cumin, basil, etc.  So this was gonna be fun!  I got to use paprika, and fresh thyme and rosemary and oregano. I know, nothing too exotic, but they were new to me!  I've eaten them before, just never cooked with them.  Fresh herbs other than basil just don't make it into my kitchen.  

So here was the menu: Rosemary Roasted Almonds.  I didn't have to change this at all.  Whitefish Toasts.  This one was a little tough.  Luckily there is something called Fishless Fillets!  I was able to follow the recipe exactly, I just substituted the whitefish with the vegetarian fillets.  I warmed them us and scraped the breading off, then chopped them up.  Easy!  Next, Oysters On The Half Shell.....YIKES!  This was really tough!  So, even if I wasn't a vegetarian, I could not bring myself to eat raw oysters.  I'm convinced that the liquid in them is urine.  I've just seen The Road To Wellville too many times(If you haven't seen this movie, go now. People were nuts, I love it!).  ::::shudder::::  In order to eat them, I would bread and bake them.  And of course, wash the hell out of them, but I do that with all of my food.  Only then I would be okay.  So I'm thinking, how do I do this?  OYSTER MUSHROOMS!!!  Of course!  If you've never had them, I highly recommend them!  They really do taste like seafood.  So I sauteed some of these lovely mushrooms with garlic powder(I like garlic powder better than fresh garlic.  I find it's more potent.), salt, pepper, paprika, fresh thyme, fresh oregano, red pepper flakes, and lots of butter.  Once the mushrooms were cooked, I threw in some bread crumbs to soak up the butter, then transferred them to a pan and popped them in the oven for about 10 minutes to crisp everything up.  Next, the cocktail.  Dry martinis, of course.  Even when I could drink, I hated dry martinis.  I'm a girly drink drunk, gimme sweet or gimme beer.  Otherwise, bleck.  Vodka tonic is wonderful though...but that's still kinda sweet.  Sigh.  I miss it.  ANYWAY, so martinis...a cosmo is a martini.  So I kinda made a mock cosmo.  Lime flavored fizzy water(cause I don't drink pop either), and grenadine.  Done.  Finally, they recommended a box of chocolate.  NOT A PROBLEM!

Here we go! "Whitefish" toasts, Sauteed Oyster Mushrooms, Rosemary Roasted Almonds, Chocolates, and a Mock Cosmo Martini.  (And some beautiful depression glass)

Now that dinner is done, lets get to this movie!  Like everyone in the entire world with any taste, I LOVE THIS MOVIE!  The wit and banter is amazing.  All delivered by one of the best screen couples ever!  If you think otherwise, I will fight you!  And I WILL win!  The chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell is incomparable.  There is no one else that could play these rolls.  They make the movie.  You just adore them and it's so clear they adored each other.

This doesn't just happen!


Myrna is breathtakingly beautiful and smart.  And her clothes are to die for!  Nora is one of the guys in a fabulous dress and you just want to follow her around!




William Powell....sigh.  I can never say enough about William Powell.  He is his usually charming and clever self.  No one delivers ironic lines like William Powell.  I just love the intonation in his voice.  Maybe it is because I was raised on Tennessee Tuxedo.  Dunno, but I love it.  He makes me happy by just speaking.  Never seen the man do anything bad.  Not even anything mediocre.  I watch How To Marry A Millionaire just for him.  I'd take him over a rich gas pump jockey ANY DAY!  Betty, girl, ya chose wrong!! (I'm talking about Bacall, not Grable...look it up, but if you're here, I think you already know why I called her that).

Powell FTW!  I just fall over when he makes this face!


The plot keeps you interested and guessing.  The witty script written for the characters is what makes this movie so charming though.  The teasing and friendship between Nick and Nora wonderful.  But like I said, it's Loy and Powell's delivery that makes it so good.  I love the journey the characters take and the way the killer is unmasked.  I love that Nick and Nora are fabulously glamorous, and still quite common.  They're just such good juicy characters.  And you can tell that Loy and Powell loved playing them.

This!  This is what I'm talking about!!

I think you can tell how much I loved this movie.  I watch it whenever it is on.  Can't see it too many times.  Dinner was so very very good.  The Whitefish Toasts were delicious.  Bit messy to eat though.  Nice light appetizer.  The veggie fillets were a perfect substitute.  Really simple to make too.  So were the almonds.  I could totally see these served at a cocktail party.  They're tasty and they make you want to drink more.  Bars should serve these, they'd make a fortune!  The mushrooms came out great.  Tasted like seafood, and the seasonings were perfect.  Ya can never go wrong with butter, bread and garlic though, so this deliciousness was a given.  Loved the addition of the fresh herbs.  Must use them more.   The mocktail was ok.  I liked the lime fizzy water better plain.  And the chocolate?  It's chocolate!! Done!  

I'm loving trying new things!  

That's all folks!  Can't wait for next week!  I'm racking my brain for ideas for this one, but I think I've got it!

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment