Sunday, February 12, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Six: King Kong


Here's week six!  Finally getting back on track!  I just watched this film on NYE, so I wasn't super excited to see it again.  However, it's such a great movie, I really didn't mind watching it again so soon.  Just not whoopty-do thrilled about it.

I was left on my own for ideas for dinner again.  Nothing in Movie Night Menus.  So I was thinking, the film's most iconic moments happen in New York.  So what do I think of with New York?  A nice juicy steak smothered in sauteed onions and mushrooms with a big old baked potato!  New York is kinda fancy to me so I was thinking, fancy....caviar and champagne!  Then I thought I would bring the jungle aspect into it with dessert by serving a pineapple and banana concoction.  Now to make it all vegetarian and alcohol free!   Believe it or not I was able to find a vegetarian steak and vegetarian caviar!  Amazon will deliver anything.  To replace the champagne, I used sparkling apple cider.

I fried up the steak and sauteed the mushrooms and onions with a little olive oil and salt and pepper.  Really easy.  I then sauteed the bananas and pineapple.  I mixed some plain Greek yogurt with brown sugar and honey and spooned it over the cooked bananas and pineapple.  For the vegetarian caviar, I served it on crackers with whipped cream cheese.  What!  I looked up how to serve caviar, but couldn't find creme fraiche and toast points just sounded silly.  And I'm a little trashy....  ;-)  Hey, we're lucky they weren't generic Ritz crackers, ok?  Cause that's more my speed!

Vegetarian steak smothered in onions and mushrooms with a baked potato, vegetarian caviar, sparking apple cider, and sauteed bananas and pineapple slices with Greek yogurt for dessert.  Note the awesome depression glass.....  :-)

This movie always amazes me.  It is a prime example of one of the reasons that I love classic films.  People actually had to do this stuff.  They had to figure it out.  The stop animation is incredible.  The effort that went into it...I just can't imagine the patience and concentration it took.  

The stop animation mixed with the live action is so impressive!  Truly innovative!

I gotta admit, the acting is really really cheesy.  I'm sure everyone will agree.  You watch this movie for the ac-tion though, not for the ac-ting.  In fact, I'd say the best actor in the movie is Kong.  You really get attached to him and you really feel for him.  You're supposed to.  I didn't want him to get hurt!  Poor guy.  The rest of 'em?  Meh.  The did make me giggle a bit with their bad acting.  It was just so silly at times.  Fay Wray is absolutely stunning though.  The camera just loves her.  Her beauty steals every scene.  I can completely see why she was chosen.  No one could have done the role better.  The did want Harlow for this role, but I can't see it.  Wray's beauty was just so much softer and luring, while Harlow's smacks you in the face.  BEAUTIFUL!  BAM! 


Absolutely beautiful!  Acting?  Not so much!


How can you not love him?  He's going, "Yeah!  Thanks for the pretty lady!!"

The last scene of this movie is worth the ticket price alone!  It's amazing and always makes me cringe.  It's shot so well.  It really seems like they're on top of the Empire State Building.  I'm afraid of heights even when I'm just watching a movie.  I'm close to the ground.  I belong on the ground.  I need to be on the ground.  I like the ground.  Ground.  Plus I'm a total klutz that has no sense of balance at all.  I fall all of the time.

Gaaaaa!  ::::Shudder:::::

I had a lovely lovely evening with the monkey.   Always entertaining.  Dinner was very good.  I've had caviar before when I was very young and thought it was gross, but it was some weird pink stuff from a tube.  I don't think it was right.  This vegetarian version was delicious though!  Little salty pearls.  Very good with my cream cheese and crackers!  :-P  The vegetarian steak was wonderful too.  It wouldn't fool anyone into thinking it was steak, but it was very good.  The only gross part was the dessert.  The bananas just didn't turn out good.  Neither did the pineapple.  Both were dry and leathery.  And chewy.  Chewy dry bananas are nasty.  I should have cooked them in some kind of sauce or just not cooked them at all.  The Greek yogurt with the honey and brown sugar was good though!  Rich and creamy and nummy.  I threw the fruit out.  Bleck.

Still having fun!  I'm really looking forward to next week!!

Love,
Olive  





No comments:

Post a Comment