Sunday, March 19, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Eleven: Mr Smith Goes To Washington


Can't believe I'm already at week eleven!  How cool is that?  This week we've got a Frank Capra classic, Mr Smith Goes To Washington.  I haven't seen this in forever!  I remember the basic story line, but the intricacies have vanished from my memory.  So that's good!  I love all of the actors in this, so tonight was going to be fun.

Left on my own for dinner again, but I had an easy time coming up with a theme.  America!  So I decided on a cheeseburger, fries, a chocolate shake, and apple pie.  Real American food!!  And what's more American than apple pie?  I made everything but the shake and the apple pie.  I didn't want to make a whole pie to just eat one piece, so I bought a piece.  I was too lazy to make a milk shake too.  I didn't want to drag out my blender.  Messy!  For the burger I went for my favorite veggie burgers.  Morningstar Grillers!  They are amazing!  I highly recommend them.  Closest veggie burgers to meat that I've found.  For the fries, I just bought a bag of frozen crinkle fries.  Cause they're my favorites.  Pretty easy dinner.


My all American dinner!  No I did not eat all those fries.  Too much!!

This movie is a real feel good movie.  You get to watch and honest likable character save everyone around him.  He doesn't get lost along the way.  It's very patriotic and inspiring.  I loved seeing all of the monuments and hearing the mantra of our country.  I wish people were like this now.  Instead, I think most people will find this movie kinda cheesy.  I find that sad.   

Even Jimmy loves seeing all the monuments!

James Stewart plays wide eyed and innocent so well.  His character is shy and pure and kind.  A perfect Jimmy Stewart role!  He never loses faith, especially in himself.  I love him in this role.  

How can you not just love that pleading sincere expression?

  
Jean Arthur is her usual sassy savvy self.  She plays this character a lot.  She's good at it too!  I find her just lovely and charming.  It's great to watch her jaded character melt.  

Don't you just want to hug her?

This movie is pretty long and can be a bit cheesy by today's standards.  It calls for a certain frame of mind.  You have to give into it to enjoy it.  

Capra has some beautiful and powerful shots.  He really is a great director.  And the sets he used were incredible.

See how powerful Washington is? And how patriotism surrounds and permeates this scene?


You really get the feeling of what Mr Smith is up against in this shot.

They built a full scale Senate chamber at the cost of $100,000.

I was in the right mood for this movie, so I was very happy to watch this tonight.  Dinner was very good.  It's been a long time since I had a cheeseburger.  Too many fries though.  And lets face it, it's not possible to have a bad chocolate shake.  The pie? Meh.  I put lots of whipped cream on it to make it taste a little less blah.  The cheeseburger and shake were the best parts.  I shoulda just had that.

Finally, another plus to this movie?  Baby Dumpling!  I just love this kid.  He was so adorable!

 That's all for this week!

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment