Sunday, March 26, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Twelve: Gone With The Wind


Today I got to watch the movie of all movies!  An EPIC!  Every movie fan has seen this film a thousand times, and wants to watch it a thousand more.  It's one of those movies that you say you'll just watch a few minutes of and then end up spending the afternoon with Scarlett and Rhett.  It's lovely.  And it has a special place for me, because I put the "O" in David O. Selznick.  ;-)  Look it up.

So again I was on my own for food.  One of the first scenes in GWTW is the barbecue at Twelve Oaks.  Soooo, barbecue it is!  I love barbecue.  And I love the way Scarlett says "barbecue" and how she promises to eat it with EVERYONE.  Well, every man.....  ;-)  Thankfully, it's not hard to make a meat free barbecue!  I got some Morningstar Hickory BBQ Riblets.  These things are amazing!  If you like the McRib from McDonald's, you will love these.  So meat was covered.  Next, side dishes.  It's just me doing this, so I have a bit of a hard time making a batch of something, cause then I have just too much left over.  So I'm afraid I hit the grocery store a bit.  To be honest, I bought way too many side salads.  Ugh.  I ended up only serving one of them, pasta salad, cause that's the one that I really wanted and including the other two was just too much food.  For the curious, they were cole slaw and potato salad.  I also bought some of my favorite chips(Cape Cod, 40% reduced fat - they have to be the reduced fat kind, those are the BEST), but again too much food.  I think I was just too inspired while I was shopping....  ;-)  I did make a nice fresh fruit salad, with grapefruit, oranges, strawberries, lemon juice, brown sugar, and fresh mint.   Then I made corn on the cob, because that's just a staple at barbecues, right?  Then I wanted to take a more Southern route with the rest of the items and went for corn bread and ice tea.  I was thinking about making sweet tea, but to be honest, it grosses me out.  Finally, for dessert, I bought a little thingy of key lime pie.  I choose key lime cause it's a nice fresh summer barbecuey dessert(andit'smyfavorite).  Dinner? Done!

Here's my vegetarian barbecue!  Pasta salad, fruit salad with mint, cornbread, corn on the cob, vegetarian ribs, key lime pie, and iced tea.  All presented on some fabulous depression glass.

Now onto the movie!  This movie is just lush!  It is so beautifully shot.  Even the scenes that are supposed to be somber are just stunning.  The story line is captivating.  It goes up and down and sucks you in.  It's dramatic and funny and even scary at times.  That why it doesn't seem like you are watching a three and a half hour movie.  NOTHING can get me to sit still for that long except for this movie.  The actors are all amazing.  I could not think of a better casting.  Everyone is perfect in their role.  

Vivien Leigh.  The first thing that everyone says about her is how beautiful she is.  And she is. Stunning.  Especially with that fabulous eyebrow of hers.  This time I was paying closer attention.  Her acting.  The way she shifts emotions is incredible.  She goes from warm to cold and back in an instant. Her face is just so expressive.  You watch her steel herself.  It's an amazing gift.

You ever seen anything like this in your life?

Clark.  I've covered my love of Clark Gable before.  This role is different for me though.  It is the quintessential Gable role.  I really saw such a range in him in this role.  I love the way he delivers his lines, I love his roguish smirk, I love his gentleness with Bonnie and Scarlett, I love the way he is captivated by Scarlett's brattiness,  I love his grief when Bonnie dies, I even love his apathy at the end of the movie.  He just goes the full range in this film.  I don't think I've seen him in a better role.  Amazing.

Yep, pretty perfect.

Finally, my girl.  My Favorite.  Hattie McDaniel.  I love her in every role I've ever seen her in.  And the girl can SING.  Omgoodness, she just wails!  In real life she was a very cool lady.  Read up on her.  Especially what she did to her last husband in her will.  SNAP!  In her role as Mammy, she's funny and lovable and just the ultimate friend and mother figure.  You have to love Mammy.  The way she loves her family is very moving.  Especially when Bonnie dies. 

She's so lovely, you just have to love Mammy.

I can't figure out how to add videos.  They seem to work until I publish them, then it's just a frozen frame.  I'll figure it out eventually.  Anyway, follow this link to watch Hattie singing!  She's awesome!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QIEuF3AZKQ   

I started early today because the movie was so long.  I had a wonderful afternoon.  Movie was amazing, and I really looked at it a bit more critically this time.  I really let it take me in and show me all it had to offer.  Even though it's the millionth time I've seen it, I got a new appreciation for it.  It's nice when that happens.  And dinner was delicious, but it's hard to go wrong with all those carbs and sugar!  Corn on the cob...if you don't love corn on the cob, you're a sicko.  

How I love Sundays now!

Love, 
Olive


No comments:

Post a Comment