Sunday, April 2, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Thirteen: The Lady Eve




I actually got to watch a movie I know NOTHING about tonight!  The Lady Eve.  I had no idea what I was in for.  The cast sounded pretty wonderful though.  I love Stanwyck.  If you don't love Stany, get out.  She really can do no wrong.  Except for all that western stuff.  I just don't like westerns stuff.  I'm sure I'll come around.  Then become obsessed with it...and blah blah blah.  Charles Coburn he captured by heart as Piggy in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.  I pretty much like him in everything too.  Especially, In This Our Life.  Love!  He's so perfect.  Plus, he has teeth like bunny and that makes me happy.  Finally Henry Fonda.  I'm pretty sure that I've only seen two of his movies.  On Golden Pond, when it first came out when I was a kid.  I don't even really remember much about it except he fished a lot and I remember his voice.  And Mr Roberts.  I mostly watched that for William Powell and James Cagney.  Fonda didn't really strike me much in either of these films.  I know, I know, but I'm picky and weird.  I tend to focus on my favorites even if they are in teeny tiny roles.  Like anytime Louise Beavers comes on screen, I squee.  I do plan on watching 12 Angry Men eventually.

So here we go.  Nothing for me in Movie Night Menus, so I did a tiny bit of research on this movie to at least find out where it was set.  Most of it takes place on a cruise ship.  I was on a cruise once.  I was about 14.  I loved it.  Mostly because I was allowed to wander around alone.  I've always been perfectly content by myself.  I remember a lot of buffets.  And champagne breakfasts.  I think I remember the champagne the most because I wasn't allowed any.  So that's what I went for.  And I'm still not allowed any champagne!  What a crock.  ;-)  Today I ate way way too much, so I gotta be honest I wasn't really hungry and kinda felt like crap from all the junk.  So I went for a light and relatively healthy champagne breakfast.  I substituted the champagne with sparkling grape juice again.  I made a nice fruit salad and had a couple of Hawaiian rolls with a couple of slices of Irish cheddar cheese.  All things you would find in a cruise ship's buffet.

Fruit salad, Hawaiian rolls, Irish cheddar, and sparkling grape juice.  And depression glass!

I have a copy of this movie, but I couldn't find it.  I just reorganized all of my movies, and must have misplaced this one.  Ugh.  So pissed.  I hate it when I can't find my things!  So I was off to a rough start.  I was able to rent it from Amazon for 3 bucks, so my night wasn't ruined.  Amazon saves the day again!  I just want my stuff!  ::::pout::::  Anyway, the movie.  I just loved this film!  I'm so glad that it was on the list!  It's so much fun without being stupid.  That's pretty hard.  Even the running gag where Fonda keeps getting covered in food is charming.  Not over done.  He's wonderfully awkward.  A role that I didn't expect from him.  A nervous naive nerd.  He did it marvelously!  I get the Fonda thing now.  I was very impressed by him.

Fonda plays awkward perfectly!  He's putty in Stany's hands!

And my Stany.  She's sexy and strong and bright.  Perfect role for her.  Her characters are usually a bit harder and jaded.  Even when they inevitably break down and get all squishy.  This was a bit of a change for her.  She was perfectly able to pull off a softer side.  I loved it.  She wraps Fonda around her finger(twice!) so easily and with humor.  You love every second.

How can you not just adore her?  And those legs!

This was a great cap to a lazy weekend.  Dinner was easy and light and so was the movie!  Great compliment to each other.  I have to find my copy, or I'm going to have to buy it again.  This one is a keeper for sure!

One Charles Coburn for the road.  See?  Teeth like a bunny = happy.

Happy way to end a weekend!

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment