Sunday, April 9, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Fourteen: Citizen Kane


Tonight we had the movie of all movies.  Citizen Kane.  Like most film buffs, I have seen this movie a thousand times, and I have loved this movie a thousand times.  There is so much to this film.  The extravagant sets, the innovative filming angles, the complicated story line, the wonderful acting, the make-up, and of course Orson's voice.  I love films that run backward.  You know what happens to Kane from the very beginning and then the rest of the film is spent showing you how he got there.  I've often wondered if people can enjoy this movie on a superficial level.  I don't think that it's possible.  Maybe that is why the initial release of this film was not very popular.  People bit off more than they could chew when they went to this movie.  That and Hearst's interference, of course.  By the way, I highly recommend watching RKO 281.  It is a brilliant compliment to this film.  I just love it.  And it lets us in on the "Rosebud" joke.  ::::giggle::::



Now onto food.  I could not believe that this was not in Movie Night Menus, but whatever.  There are some in there, promise.  I had a huge huge lunch, so I wasn't up for much dinner.  And I was tired.  Busy weekend. I had planned on serving Hors d'oeuvres all along.  Just maybe not this simple.  I was thinking this story has rich people that entertain a lot so they never have to leave their home.  Rich people eat a lot of               Hors d'oeuvres, right?  Right.  From what I've seen they barely eat anything.  ::::shrug::::  Since I was so full, I put together something light.  Chopped veggies, some peppercorn ranch dressing, baked brie, some sour dough bread, and some fancy chocolate truffles.  Easy.  

Depression glass featuring fancy truffles, baked brie, chopped veggies, sour dough bread, and peppercorn ranch dressing. Yum!

 So much has been said about this movie that I'm kinda at a loss to add to the dialog.  What I noticed more when watching it this time was the fabulous job that was done on Orson's make up.  My co-movie watcher is the one that noticed it.  I can't take credit for this one.  They aged him so well in this film that they got it right!  As Orson aged in real life, he looked like Kane as an old man.  Giveortakeafewpoundsandsomefacefur.  It's really quite remarkable.

They aged him so accurately, didn't they?

The other actor that really stood out for me on this viewing was Dorothy Comingore.  Maybe it was because I'm a little tired and cranky, but gosh this woman worked my last nerve.  I know she was supposed to be obnoxious, but I think she took it to the next level! Her voice was just so shrill and whiny, and I'm not talking about her singing.  Ugh.  I liked her when she was drunk though.  That was good.  I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else, and I really don't wanna either!

Ugh.

The movie was wonderful, as expected.  I enjoyed watching it, yet again.  Dinner was just right.  I didn't feel like a fancy rich person though, but it was nummy.  I'll try harder next time.  I feel like I did this one a little half-assed.  I've just been so pooped lately!  And so busy.  Not a good combination!

Orson is proud of me for at least trying.


This is the Orson that I grew up with:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSs6DcA6dFI  
I think of it every time I hear his voice.  And I too will drink so wine before it's time(that is if I ever get to drink wine again). I was raised right!

Have a great week everyone!  

Love,
Olive

PS: Wanna see Orson drunk trying to film one of those famous Paul Masson commercials?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFevH5vP32s  
I'll figure out how to add videos someday!

   


No comments:

Post a Comment