Sunday, April 30, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Seventeen: Double Indemnity


This movie is too many things.  I adore this film.  I don't think there is a single thing about it that I don't love.  Even Stany's awful wig.  I was really looking forward to tonight.  Had kinda a crap weekend and I ended up not being able to do something that I really was looking forward to because sometimes I have to be an adult.  Which sucks.  So I was determined to make tonight fun and easy.  So glad that this was the movie on the schedule cause I knew I would enjoy it.  Bah to adult crap I got to watch me some Stany!  I couldn't find my copy, so the night was almost ruined.  Someone has to be messing with me.  This is the second Stany movie I couldn't find!  I will find this evil person and I will cut their little fingers off!  Rawr!  Don't touch my stuff!  Thank goodness for Amazon streaming.  They saved me again.  

I had absolutely no idea what to serve with this film.  I had a huge breakfast and was really not all that hungry.  I was all pouty and bratty too, so I didn't want anything complicated.  So what do you serve with a movie that is just awesome?  I went the traditional movie route!  Popcorn!  Pop!  Candy!  None of which am I supposed to have.  Technically I should be living on celery and water.  Screw it.  I made some wonderful Quinn's popcorn.  All natural, no chemicals.  'Bout as healthy as popcorn can get.  Then I choose root beer for my pop cause apparently caffeine will make me die. Finally, I had some prosecco flavored gummies because I wanted something just a little fancy.  

Prosecco Gummies, Popcorn and Root Beer!  

This movie is beautiful.  Every scene is beautiful.  I just love watching it for that.  I also love all of the different settings.  From a fancy house to a grocery store to a bachelor pad to a beautiful office building to a drive in restaurant.  Speaking of, you used to be able to go to a drive in and get a beer????  Wow!  Now the plot.  First, I love movies that begin at the end!  So it wins me over from the beginning.  The plot is interesting and there is a great twist.  I can watch it over and over again and I still get pulled in.

I love movies that begin at the end!

My perfect Barbara Stanwyck is her usual wonderful self.  They've got her in a terrible wig and you still can't stop this woman from being beautiful.  She plays her character so well.  You love her, you hate her, you can't figure her out.  It was the perfect role for her.  It's a challenging character and she totally pulled it off.  

Bad Hair?  Still beautiful.

Fred MacMurray.  I grew up watching him in re-runs of My Three Sons.  I always have a hard time getting past that.  I know that would bug the hell outta him too.  That's what he was afraid of when he took that role.  Sorry Fred.  He's so good in this though, that I sometimes forget that he was Steve Douglas.  Sometimes.  Not completely though.  Sorry Fred.  He is great in this though.  He plays his character more like a noir detective.  I think it's very clever.  I never would have thought to play it like this.  It works so well!  

Father from My Three Sons?  Nope!  Sexy Noir Detective?  Yep.

Finally Edward G Robinson.  Yet another one that can do no wrong in my book.  He can play everything.  Gangsters, murderers, middle aged wimps.  Everything.  I never do forget that it is him though.  I never have him get completely lost in the role.  I think it's his voice and his delivery.  It is so extreme that he's a bit of a caricature of himself.  I do just adore him though and he's a wonderful actor.  For some reason though, I always think he should be fat.  Weird, but that's what I think and he never was, so I dunno.  He's character is great though and you can't wait for him to figure it all out and get them.

Edward G Robinson. Always Edward G Robinson, but I love him.

So I got to curl up with popcorn and pop and candy and watch one of my favorite movies.  You can't go wrong here.  I feel a million times better.  I'm just sad that it's over.  Here comes Monday and more grown up bull.  Boooooo!

Love,
Olive





   

No comments:

Post a Comment