Sunday, May 7, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Eighteen: Meet Me In St Louis



I've been meaning to watch this movie for years!  Wanna know exactly how many?  I have it on my DVR from November 29th, 2014!  It's the one that Aurora/CitizenScreen hosted!!  I just never got around to it and couldn't bring myself to delete it.  I've also got it on DVD, of course.  Cause I'm obsessive about buying movies and I have to own everything for some stupid reason.

So tonight, since I have never seen this movie and there was nothing in Movie Night Menus, I was left in the dark as to what to make for dinner.  I decided to look up St Louis cuisine.  Turns out they're known for some pretty simple(and really fatty) foods.  Toasted ravioli, pizza, gooey butter cake, BBQ, and sandwiches.  I decided to go for pizza and gooey butter cake.  St Louis pizza is supposed to be very thin with provel cheese on it.  I did my best.  Provel cheese is difficult to come by and I couldn't find any.  I did find a pizza with a whole bunch of different cheeses on it and went with that.  It had goat cheese, cheddar, feta, and mozzarella.  Meh, why not.  Then the cake.  I found a recipe by Paula Deen.  Apparently this is a really famous recipe, so I went with this one.  Really easy to make and you can use boxed cake mix.  And I didn't have to buy and weird ingredients.  Not that I mind hunting and buying weird stuff, I just kinda wasn't in the mood.

Pizza with loads of different types of cheese and Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.
And depression glass, of course!

This movie was so sweet.  I really don't like musicals too much and I have to be in the mood for them.  Judy Garland usually changes that pretty quickly.  Easter Parade is just WONDERFUL anytime!  Though I do watch it every Easter.  It's a rule!  Judy did it again with this movie.  She's so lovely.  I never understand why she always said she was treated like one of the guys.  She's just so elegant and delicate.  Those big doe eyes of hers.  With like the world's most perfect hair.  I wanted her hair so very badly.  Wonder if it was really hers?  And do I really have to talk about her performance?  Her voice.  That amazing voice.  Even her speaking voice is beautiful.  There's something about it.  A warmth.  She can hug you with it.  And she's so funny in this movie.  I particularly like the scene where she beats up her neighbor and then goes home to brag about it.  I adore a beautiful tough broad!

This is by far my favorite part!  She's wonderful


I loved Minnelli's direction too.  Every scene was beautifully framed.  It was just luscious and colorful.  Even if you enjoyed nothing else about this movie, it's just pretty to watch.  And the way he captures Judy is just wonderful. You can tell how beautiful he thought she was.

She's so beautiful and you can tell how much Minnelli thought so too.
Those eyes.....

The other real standouts for me were Marjorie Main and Mary Astor.  Marjorie Main plays the same character she always plays.  Ma Kettle.  It's the perfect role for her though.  She plays it marvelously.  She's always funny and pushy and lovable.  To me, Mary Astor always plays two different roles and they are polar opposites.  She's either a noir dame or a loving mother.  Two very extreme roles that she pulls off every time.  I can't really think of any roles that were "in between" these two, but maybe I'm wrong.  It's just what she is in my mind.  She's a great mother and wife in this movie.  Warm and loving.  It's a lot like the character she played in Little Women.  Come to think of it June Allyson in Little Women had the same hair as Judy Garland did in this movie.  Hmmmmm......  


  

Halloween is really vicious in this movie.  It's like Devil's Night or something.  Who doesn't stop children or anyone for that matter from lighting a fire in the middle of the street?  It's a weird sequence.  I do love all the kids costumes though.  Wish kids still made their costumes and everything didn't have to be so perfect.

I thought this was a bit much.... Loved their costumes though!

Yet again I had another great night.  The movie was so pretty and the story was so warm.  Made me want it to be Christmas time though.  It's a great movie any time of year, but it put me in the Christmas mood.  And I love Christmas.  231 days till Christmas, BTW!!!!  Less that two-thirds of the way there!!!  WOOOP!  The food?  Weeeelll, goat cheese and feta on a pizza is kinda gross.  I think they put too much on.  They're both so flavorful, you jut need a teeny bit.  So it made me kinda sick to my stomach.  Never again.  Pizza should have lots of cheese, but they should all be Italian.  New rule!  However, the cake was divine.  Very very very sweet, but so nummy.  It was kinda like a white brownie.  So good.  And so easy.  

So good end to a weekend.  Even with gross pizza.  I don't think Imma be ok for a few days after that one.  Bleck.

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment