Sunday, May 21, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Twenty: The Best Years Of Our Lives

I was on a Myrna Loy binge when I bought this movie.  I know nothing about it other than my girl Myrna is in it.  As you can figure out, I have thousands of movies.  I have to keep a spreadsheet of all of them so that I know which one's I have.  I kept buying duplicates!  I'm constantly trying to fit them all in and watch them. They aren't going anywhere though!  So I'm glad this was on the list.

I've had some crazy busy days lately, so forgive me for being a bit lazy again.  I had no direction with this movie.  Like I said, I only knew that Myrna was in it.  I read the back of the DVD and got a general idea of what it was about and when it was set.  So I decided to look up 1944 food.  Food was still in short supply, so women had to be creative with their cooking.  FYI, creative = pretty gross.  Lots of weird combinations.  Bleck.  And lots of things that are very difficult to make vegetarian.  And like I said, I've been short on time. There was some spaghetti and meatballs that I could have done, but I just had a big bowl of pasta yesterday.  So I'm pasta'd out!  And like I said, I've been short on time, so I really didn't want to cook tonight.  So I started looking up what people ate when they went out to eat.  Not fancy, I didn't want fancy I wanted plain old diner fair.  Came up with, you guessed it, spaghetti and meatballs.  LOL!  But there was also Chinese food, in particular Chop Suey.  Not in the mood for Chinese though.  Kept looking.  Found it!  Plain old burger and fries.  Perfect!  There's been a burger place that I've been dying to try.  A good veggie burger is hard to find.  Especially delivered.  I could have cooked my own I guess, but I didn't feel like grocery shopping either.  Too much.  So I ordered me a veggie burger and fries.

My lazy lazy dinner of delivered veggie burger and fries. And Depression Glass. <3
 
Now that dinner was set, onto the movie!  This sucker was looooong!!!  Almost three hours!!  Wow!  It's the story of three men returning from WWII and the struggles they face.  It was so long because it really had three story lines.  In spite of being a very long film, it was just enough time to cover everything.  I really couldn't see anything that could have been cut out.  I did have some trouble keeping focused.  I just can't sit still that long.  I tried though!  At times it was hard to watch.  Very depressing.  There were wonderful high points though, and the ending just made you happy.  My dear Myrna didn't have a major role.  I always want more of her!

Three very different men return from WWII.

Wonderful film.  Needed more Myrna though. Ya always need more Myrna.

Harold Russell's story was by far my favorite and the most touching.  His struggle as a disabled veteran was very real.  The piano scene was wonderful.  He was excellent throughout and I was really surprised to find out that this was his first role!  He actually won two Oscars for this film.  One was an honorary Oscar for "bringing hope and courage to his fellow veterans".  The other was for Best Supporting Actor.  This is the only time that two Oscars have been awarded for the same performance.  Very cool.  

I think this is my favorite scene.


Harold Russell and his well deserved Oscars.

In spite of the length, I really enjoyed this film.  The story line was great, the acting was wonderful, and the direction was smooth.  Dinner was nummy.  I found a great burger place that delivers veggie burgers!  The brioche bun was the best part I think.  You coulda put doggie doodie on that thing and it would have been good!  Well maybe that's a bit much....  Ewww, sorry for that image.  All I'm seeing is Divine in Pink Flamingos.  Gag.  Anyway, MY dinner was delish!  

Can this really be week twenty?  How cool is that?  Still having a great time doing this.  Next week I get to do Noir!!  Woop!  

Love,
Olive


No comments:

Post a Comment