Sunday, June 18, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Twenty Four: The Third Man

I've seen this movie once before.  I really didn't like it.  Of course, it was a lousy day.  It was showing at at a theater in the city on a fourth of July weekend.  One of my favorite theaters, so I was really looking forward to it.  I spent an hour and a half trying to get there, and then once I did there was no parking.  So I went an hour and a half all the way back home and watched it on DVD.  So I wasn't in the best mood.  My moods really affect the way I watch movies.  I've realized that.  I was willing to give this one another chance, but I wasn't looking forward to it.  I also don't remember much about this movie.  Just that I didn't like it, and of course, that famous first shot of Orson Welles.  That smirk is incredible.  So here we go!

So dinner!  The movie is set in Vienna after the war.  Lots and lots of running up and down streets.  I looked up Viennese food.  In particular street food.  Turns out that, big shocker, Vienna is famous for it's sausages.  They're served either cut up on their own with mustard or on a roll.  The roll sounded the most appetizing.  Plus I hate mustard.  Since I was having dinner, I wanted more than just a sausage on bun, so I looked up side dishes.  Thank goodness, they serve roasted potatoes!  Usually, it's a side for wiener schnitzel, but whatever I wanted some!  Finally, Vienna is famous for their pastries!  Apple strudel!  Num.  So I found me some vegetarian bratwurst, some wonderful rolls, made some roasted potatoes, and some apple turnovers(close enough) and was off to watch a movie I didn't like!

Vegetarian bratwurst and roasted potatoes on ruby depression glass!

Apple strudel turnover on my beautiful depression glass.

So I tried really hard to go into this with an open mind.  My full plate didn't hurt.  I really did find this better the second time around.  Not spectacular.  I found it very drawn out.  Everything was building, but excruciatingly slow.  Not enough happened.  In fact, the final fifteen minutes, which is supposed to be the most suspenseful, I got all antsy and started aching for it to be over.  Took too long.  

Even the kitty was bored.

Three things stood out for me.  First, the music.  Weird.  Throughout the film there was this really pleasant happy bouncy music.  Did not fit at all.  You kind of bounced along with it.  I keep trying to figure out what would make them choose this music, but I can't.  It didn't make me uneasy, it didn't make me pay closer attention to the action on the screen.  It didn't even come on when certain characters appeared.  It seemed random.  Maybe that was the point?  If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.  The song is stuck in my head though.  I really liked it, it just didn't fit.

Second, Orson Welles, of course.  The man was in the movie for like all of 10 minutes, but it was an Orson Welles movie.  That voice, that face.  There is no one like him.

Welles was just awesome.  That smirk is too much!

Finally, the direction.  This movie was beautifully shot.  Every scene.  There were so many difficult angles.  I really wonder how Carol Reed did it.  She was a pioneer.  All of the scenes were so good that I can't even choose my favorite.  Well, seeing Orson in the doorway would be my favorite, but that's everyone's favorite.  

Every scene was as good as this one.

There was some good to this film for me.  I guess I just didn't like the story line.  Dinner was very good.  You can't go wrong with carbs though.  Is it possible to have a bad potato?  Nope.  And pastry, again, not possible to be bad.  The veggie brat was really good too.  Tasted like an actual brat.  As for the movie?  Would I watch it again?  Hmmm, maybe, depends on what is for dinner.  ;-)

Love, 
Olive    



No comments:

Post a Comment