Sunday, June 25, 2017

New Year's Eve Resolution Week Twenty Five: White Heat


I just adore Jimmy Cagney.  He's always so good.  Especially as a gangster.  The only thing I've seen him in that I didn't like was Yankee Doodle Dandy.  But I don't like musicals.  And it was really really long.  And I don't like long.  I've never seen White Heat.  I've been meaning to, but never got around to it.  This should be a good night!

I've been pretty sick to my stomach all weekend, so no dinner tonight.  Just not in the mood.  I didn't have much inspiration anyway.  Not feeling good isn't really inspiring.  Bah.  At least I had James Cagney to look forward to.

This movie was long.  A little too long.  I started wandering around about an hour and fifteen into it.  Not having dinner probably didn't help.  Food keeps me still.  It did still hold my attention though, I just fidgeted a lot.  I make people nuts.  This movie was really really good.  Even though it was long, I still can't think or a scene that wasn't necessary.

Cagney was wonderful in this role.  It was far more complex than any role I've seen him in.  A cold heartless momma's boy.  Towards the end of the movie though, you finally get to know his character and like him.  He's smart and a good read of people.  Almost.  He finally trusts someone and it proves to be his downfall.  I loved the way that it coincided with you liking his character.  His opening up makes you like him, but also leads to his end.  Very clever.  It's a wonderful up and down.

Just a big old mamma's boy.

Virginia Mayo was stunning as usual.  Her character was very manipulative.  Not a very deep role though.  Not hard to play.  I think she was hired mostly for her looks.  Not that I'd blame them!  I think the only other film I've seen her in was The Best Years Of Our Lives.  She didn't stand out for me in that film though.  There were just too many big actors around her.  I remember her in it, her story line just didn't pull me in too much.  

He's absolutely right!

One other actor really stood out for me.  Steve Cochran.  He was really really good at being slimy.  He seemed to just steal every scene he was in.  I really enjoyed him.  The whole time I kept trying to figure out who he reminded me of.  Then I figured it out!  He is a cross between an ugly George Clooney and a good looking Chaz Palmineri!  Yep.

I was kinda shocked by him too, honey!  I didn't know he was so furry though....

Tonight was good.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I know it was long, but still very very good.  And I still had a great night even though I skipped dinner.  I got to see a depth to Cagney that I don't think I've seen before.  He was really amazing in this.  Not that I expected any less from this Irish Boy!

Here is the scene everyone is expecting me to talk about.....



Love,
Olive





  


No comments:

Post a Comment