Sunday, July 16, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Twenty Eight: Sunset Boulevard

This is one of my favorite movies of all time.  It is one of the first classic films I ever saw.  Though for some reason, I cannot remember my first showing.  It's like it's always been a part of me.  Always in my repertoire.  It is one of the movies that secured my love of classic cinema. It's just so perfect.  I watch it whenever it's on, so I was looking forward to tonight.  I knew it wouldn't be a dud!

Movie Night Menus came though again tonight!  I was totally not in the mood to stuff myself, so their menu was perfect for tonight.  Light fancy food.  The cocktail was a Ritz cocktail.  It was basically a fizzy orange cherry drink.  I used orange juice, fizzy water and grenadine.  Decided that was close enough!  The main meal was smoked oyster Waldorf salad in avocado shells.  I just followed the recipe and left out the oysters.  Easy.  Finally, caviar toasts.  I wasn't in the mood for toasts, so I used croissants instead.  They're fancy, so I thought that would work.  I also couldn't find creme fraiche, so I used farmer's cheese this time.  Last time I used cream cheese.  I also have some vegan caviar, so I was able to use that.  Nice and simple and easy.

So here we go!  Ritz cocktail(kinda), Waldorf salad in avocado shells, farmer's cheese with vegan caviar and croissant.  Oh yeah, and depression glass.  ;-)

So onto the movie!  Like I said, I love this movie.  When I was a smoker, I tried desperately hard to make a cigarette holder like Norma Desmond.  I think I used a paperclip.  Epic fail, but I tried.  The detail in this film is amazing.  There is always something to look at.  I cannot imagine how long it took the to put together these sets! They're so intricate!  I just love watching!  It's so beautiful.  

Even as an ex-smoker, I still want this cigarette holder!  

This movie is all about Miss Gloria.  Let's face it, anyone could have played the other roles.  NO ONE else in the world could play Norma Desmond!  I know that she wasn't thrilled with being associated forever with this role.  I think it was because people assumed it was autobiographical.  Swanson was not that tragic.  She was tough and smart, and she simply would not eat unhealthy food.  If you get that reference, you will be my friend forever!  As Norma, she was so glamorous, so extreme, so fabulous!  Swanson also has one of the most beautiful profiles ever. I hold her right up there with Barrymore.

Look at this DIVA!

I also absolutely love all of the other classic actors that are either in this movie or referenced.  Every time I watch it, I hear another name of an actor I love.  Everyone already knows The Waxworks, Buster(sigh), Anna Q Nilsson, and HB Warner.  And of course, the baby thrower himself, Erich von Stroheim, who worked with Swanson on Queen Kelly(which we get to see part of in the film.  LOVE).  Cecil B DeMille has his very own close up.   And I love that he calls her "Young Fellow" in the film.  It was a nickname he had for her in real life from the time she was a young girl.  A TON of silent actors are mentioned in the script!  Mabel Normand, Wallace Reid, Rod La Rocque, John Gilbert, Valentino, Marie Prevost....  ::::sigh::::  And they're deep cuts too!  Someday maybe I'll listen very closely and put together a list.  Someday....

Chaplin even makes an appearance....sort of.  ;-)

As for dinner.  It was ok.  Nothing spectacular.  I think I would have switched out all the mayo and sour cream and just used plain greek yogurt.  Tastes the same, saves the calories and fat.  But I don't think I'll be making this again.  It was very plain and boring.  Maybe the oysters would have made a big difference.  Hmmm.  The cocktail was just ok.  I don't think I like grenadine that much anymore.  I shoulda just had the OJ and fizzy water.  The farmer's cheese was really bland too.  Caviar was salty.  Meh.  Croissant was good though.  Thankfully it was easy and not heavy, so it could have been a bigger waste.

Gloria Swanson saved the night!  Here is the scene everyone wants to see.  Here is her close up.....

      

Next week I'll be late posting.  Plans are just going to be in the way, but I won't forget!

Love,
Olive
    

No comments:

Post a Comment