Sunday, July 9, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Twenty Seven: Winchester '73

Alright, I'm just gonna say it.  I don't like westerns.  Don't like them, never have, never will.  I don't even like western TV shows.  Even if Barbara Stanwyck is in it.  Nope.  I dislike them almost as much as I dislike musicals.  There are some exceptions, but for the most part classic musicals just leave me cold. And bored.  Anyway, I don't like westerns either.  I do like William S Hart though.  For some weird reason, I have a soft spot for him.  I also have a soft spot for James Stewart and Shelley Winters.  So while I really wasn't looking forward to tonight, I was hoping they would save me.  It could happen.

So dinner!  Nothing in Movie Night Menus again.  They did have some westerns in there.  Dinner was chili or tacos(they called it something else, but tortillas with meat are tacos. They just wanted to be fancy).  I wasn't in the mood for either.  Kinda.  Since the film was set in Texas, I decided to go for fajitas!  I haven't had fajitas in forever!  So I grilled up some vegetarian chicken strips and some onions and peppers.  Warmed up some tortillas.  And bought a little cherry pie.  Why cherry pie?  Cause it was cute and I wanted it, that's why. 'nough said.

Tortillas, vegetarian fajitas, and cherry pie.  And depression glass.

So the movie.  I decided to go into this with a healthier attitude.  I was going to watch the story and ignore the setting.  It's a very different western from any that I've seen before.  I haven't seen many, but I've seen a few.  This story follows a gun as it is passed from different owners.  It actually really was interesting.  No one said, "Y'all" or used hokey accent.  In fact, Jimmy Stewart made it easy to try and forget it was a western.  He never changed his way of speaking.  Doesn't really fit a western.  At all.  There were some cheesy fight scenes and shoot outs, so I wasn't too thrilled with those.  They're silly.  Stewart and Winters were wonderful.  I do love Shelley.  She's so good.  A Patch Of Blue, A Place In The Sun, Roseanne, Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?, The Poseidon Adventure, What's The Matter With Helen?, Lolita....  Love her!  But like I said, the story really was interesting.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I really wanted to find out who ended up with the gun!


There were some pretty cool cameos too:

Rock Hudson

Stony Tony Curtis

So maybe it was my improved attitude or maybe it really was just a good movie in spite of being a western.  I really enjoyed this film.  I would totally recommend it if you want to watch a western.  And dinner was nummy.  Totally hit the spot.  Fajitas are amazing!  Cherry pie was a little sour, but whipped cream fixed that!  ;-)  

Really good night!

Love,
Olive


No comments:

Post a Comment