Monday, July 24, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Twenty Nine: Gun Crazy


I love Noir, just love it, and this one looked really good.  My favorite is Detour, and this had the same shoe string budget.  Those are usually the best, dunno why.  I knew nothing about the movie other than it looked kinda cheesie, so I was going into this blind.  And fortunately, I was just in the mood for that!

I had no help for food again, so I had to come up with my own.  In noir films, they always seem to end up in diners, so I started thinking about diner food.  I love diners.  I'd rather eat at a diner than anywhere else.  What can I say, I'm a simple girl.  Denny's is the best ever.  It's America's Diner!  Anyway....  Now most of the time at a diner, what do you get?  Breakfast!  Which is perfect, cause of the schedule I had to keep this week.  I missed watching the movie last night and had to watch it this morning.  So breakfast!!  And I had all of stuff in the house, so no grocery shopping.  Nice.  I like pretty simple breakfast, so I made hash browns, toast and eggs.  However, the eggs I used were fresh duck eggs.  If you like eggs, and you can score some duck eggs, I HIGHLY recommend them.  They are so rich and flavorful.  The yolks are nice and big.  Decadent!  To drink, since I can't have coffee(BAHHHH!), I made this drink called Inka.  It's a polish coffee substitute made from wheat.  Not a trace of caffeine, cause even decaf has a touch of it.  It's not going to fool anyone, but it's really not bad.  I added some all natural creamer, and it was pretty yummy.

Breakfast on depression glass!!!  Toast, duck eggs, hash browns, and Inka.  I got to use my depression glass coffee mugs!  It's from France.  ;-)

I was so impressed with this film.  Shoe string budgets tend to bring out the best in classic films for some reason.  Maybe because they can't rely on fancy stuff to get the story across, maybe because they hire actors and staff that really need the work and try harder.  Dunno, but they're good!  The two main characters were played by Peggy Cummins and John Dall.  I'd never heard of these actors before nor seen a film with them in it.  At least not that I remember.  

Peggy Cummins plays a wonderful femme fatale.  She's striking and strong and manipulative.  She's a wonderful actress, she conveys so much with her eyes.  They give her away and let you know what she really is right off the bat.  Her acting reminded me a lot of Jane Greer in Out Of The Past.

Lookit her check him out!  Her use of her eyes is amazing!

John Dall plays a sweet simple nice guy.  You root for him.  He's great at making you like him, and you actually like him so much and understand his character that you desperately want him to make the right choices.  But it's noir, and you know he won't!  The attraction between Dall and Cummins is amazing.  You can feel it.  I wonder if they were together in real life?  The attraction is that good!

The attraction between these two seeps through the screen.

I loved the story line, and was excited to see what would happen next.  It really held my interest.  There were some wonderful scenes, especially when they were shooting.  There were very creative shots that helped keep the excitement up.  

Isn't this cool?

I had a great time with this.  Breakfast was awesome, I did add too much oil to the hash browns, so they were a little too greasy.  Never thought I'd say that!  HA!  The duck eggs made up for it!  And butter and bread?  Well, you can't go wrong with that!  Ever!  The film was even better than expected.  I loved it!  The ending really surprised me.  I highly highly recommend this film, even if you don't like noir,   It's that good.  Oh, and go watch Detour too!  Fab-u-lous!

Love,
Olive
PS: They did end up eating in a diner, by the way.  I was ridiculously excited about it!
They had hamburgers, maybe if they had breakfast, things would have turned out better!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment