Sunday, August 20, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Thirty Three: Seven Samurai

So tonight is going to be...interesting.  A three and a half hour film in Japanese.  THREE AND A HALF HOURS!  IN JAPANESE!  I don't even want to do something I really like for three and a half hours.  And I'm not feeling too hot tonight.  Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do though, so we'll see.  I guess.

Since we're dealing with a Japanese film, well, we all know what that means!  Sushi!!!  I love sushi.  Plus I didn't have to cook.  Like I said, I'm not feeling so good, so that was a blessing.  I ordered some miso soup, a salad, some veggie sushi, veggie tempura, and almond cookies.  LOTS of food, and no, I didn't finish i all, I just like variety.  It makes me happy.

Japanese dinner.  No depression glass though, sorry.  I wasn't up to doing dishes anyway.

Now for the movie.  Did I make it through?  Yes, yes I did.  Was it as hard as I thought? No, no it wasn't.  It actually went pretty fast.  I was surprised.  It was a little hard to sit through.  I just can't sit still for that long, so I wandered a bit.  Not good, because you can't be distracted AND read subtitles, but it is what it is.  I watched for the most part.  Far more entertaining than I expected.  It was funny and dramatic.  You genuinely liked the characters.  There was a lot of warmth to this film, which I wasn't expecting from Japanese cinema.  There were also several story lines, so there was something in there for everyone.  I really liked it.  Could it have been done faster?  Absolutely!  I felt like there was a lot of unnecessary scenes.  I understand why there were there, but I just don't have patience for that stuff.  You can tell me you work hard without showing me.  But not everyone is me.  Thank goodness, right?

Here are The Boys in all their glory.  You'll like them.

If you've got THREE AND A HALF HOURS to kill, go for this movie.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll get to see Samurai butts, and learn how to say "shit" in Japanese.  A lot.  (Unko - FYI)

Next week might be late, maybe even really late, cause The Silent Summer Film Festival is going on, and that's gonna win.  I'll get to my resolution though.  I have so far!  

Love,
Olive



No comments:

Post a Comment