Sunday, August 13, 2017

New Year's Resolution Week Thirty Two: Roman Holiday


I know nothing about this movie.  Nothing except that Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn are in it.  I guess I never really had any desire to see it.  Turns out, it's a princess movie.  I don't really like princess movies.  They just don't do much for me.  Too fake or something.  I just can't get into them.  They're pretty and everything, but they take too long.  They spend too much time showing just the pretty.  I always feel like they could be pretty and getting on with the story.  I do really like the two stars though, so I'm hoping they'll get me through this.  Although, Audrey couldn't get me through My Fair Lady. Gosh, I just don't like that movie or the live musical.  Ugh.  Maybe Gregory Peck can pull me through.  I hope.

So dinner.  When I was in Rome I lived off of two things, pasta and pizza.  So fresh and amazing there.  Contrary to what everyone told me, I didn't see too much of a difference between American pizza and Italian pizza.  At least not the margherita pizza.  They just used fresh mozzarella instead of the shredded mozzarella we use.  It was overall lighter, but that's about it.  Same thing with the pasta, everything was fresh and lighter.  They also had incredible table wine.  I'm not a big fan of wine, but this stuff was so good!  I drank so much one night my teeth and lips were stained purple.  It's cheap too.  So I picked pizza tonight.  I was in the mood, and I had some pizza dough and fresh mozzarella to use up.  I made a really simple margherita pizza.  Crushed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, pepper, oregano, garlic powder.  Nice and easy.  Since I can't have wine anymore, I opted for a nice big bowl of red grapes.  Hey, I take what I can get!  And I always like some sweet with my savory.

Red grapes and margherita pizza.  Not very pretty, but the depression glass is!

So onto the movie.  Weeeeell, it was kinda meh.  Predictable.  It's a princess movie.  I did love seeing so much of Rome.  It is such a beautiful city.  You get to see all of the tourist locations.  The Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, the Roman Forum, the Mouth of Truth, the Trevi Fountain, etc....  Seeing so much of Rome was my favorite part of this movie.

I'm looking at The Spanish Steps...aaaaand maybe the gelato.....

Miss Audrey was her usual elegant, delicate, beautiful self.  No big surprise here.  She's lovely.  This wasn't a big challenging role.  She did fit it perfectly though.  I liked seeing her all drugged up, that was funny.  I also liked seeing her kick some ass.  Such a tiny little thing smacking some brutes around.  Pretty cool.  

I did like watching her fight.  

Now for Gregory Peck.  I do love this man.  He's always so stoic.  Reminds me of Gary Cooper, but with more emotion.  And I love his voice.  It's wonderful.  He was fun in this movie.  Different from other roles I've seen him in.  I liked him.  He played the role well. Even though you knew he was deceiving her, you didn't dislike him.  That's hard to do.

He's so purty.

The movie was nice.  It wasn't as bad as I thought.  Predictable yes, but light and enjoyable.  Not too much silly.  I expected a lot of silly.  Now that I think about it though, you can't do silly with Gregory Peck.  Just doesn't work.   Dinner was very good.  Too much food.  How I love fresh mozzarella and basil!  I had a much better night than expected!

Love,
Olive

No comments:

Post a Comment